[GRLUG] OFF TOPIC Electric Car

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 16:46:41 EST 2008

Right to the point.  Asking an
electric car to be just like a gasoline
powered one is what ends up making
them so expensive.  I rarely drive more
than 25 miles in my day to day wanderings,
so a car that even got 35 miles on a charge
would satisfy my needs 99% of the time.
One could either have a conventional car
for extended trips, or, if those are infrequent,
just rent a car for those occasions.

Having a car specifically for in-town, short
trips, would likely keep the price down.  One
could even entertain the notion longer term
of an on-board, tiny gas or diesel generator
that would run as much as necessary to
supply additional miles.  Or just plug the thing
in somewhere now and then.  Or just haul one's
little Honda generator along on those days when,
say, they need to go 30 miles....

Your notion of the golf cart with a fiber glass
shell is very much to the point.  Get a car that
really fulfils your needs - which very few people
seem to actually do - and the costs could be
very low.  Oh, and make your second car a
one-ton, one-liter, gas powered model, and you'll
get 40 mpg even in town.  I know.  I have one.