[GRLUG] Solid State Drives

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 12:25:04 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Collin Kidder <adderd at kkmfg.com> wrote:
> Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> If you are using it then one of two things has occurred:
> 1. You didn't buy enough RAM 2: You loaded more crap into your virtual
> memory than you needed to.

If we only did what we needed to, the world would be entirely without
convenience.

Consider the following scenario: My desktop machine will have 8GB of
RAM.  That means that I can I can perform extensive, fast operations
with video editing, and have much of my source data sitting in the
file cache.

Now consider that I probably have a Firefox window open with fifteen
or so tabs and an average history of five or six web pages each.

When I'm focusing on video editing, the older, old Firefox memory
pages will eventually get sent to standby on disk.  Meanwhile, I get
fast access to lots of video data.

When I turn around and check my email, or look up a tutorial, or do
anything in Firefox, those old pages can be put back in physical
memory if they're needed.