[GRLUG] freeBSD 7 - mount usb drive

Phillip Hebenstreit phillip at phtconsulting.com
Sun Aug 31 21:47:38 EDT 2008

Hello everyone,

Could anyone offer tips on mounting a usb drive in freeBSD 7.0-RELEASE?

Per some web searching, I've tried the following:

# mount_msdosfs /dev/da1 /mnt/usb
mount_msdosfs: /dev/da1: : Invalid argument

# mout_msdosfs /dev/da0s1a /mnt/usb
mount_msdosfs: /dev/da0s1a  : Operation not permitted

notes:
dmesg - command at prompt
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/da0s1a
umass0: <lexar media jd mercury, class 0/0 removable direct access SCSI-0
device

I'm sorry if I have missed some important information, please let me know if
I'm missing something and I will fill in the gaps.

phill