[GRLUG] samba

Topher topher at wcsg.org
Fri Aug 22 10:13:06 EDT 2008

Ok, I got Samba installed and running.  After MUCH travail I got SWAT
running.  Here's my current smb.conf:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2008/08/22 10:10:34

[global]
 	server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
 	obey pam restrictions = Yes
 	passdb backend = tdbsam
 	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
 	passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
 	syslog = 0
 	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
 	max log size = 1000
 	dns proxy = No
 	invalid users = root

[printers]
 	comment = All Printers
 	path = /var/spool/samba
 	create mask = 0700
 	printable = Yes
 	browseable = No

[print$]
 	comment = Printer Drivers
 	path = /var/lib/samba/printers

[topher-home]
 	comment = Topher's Home Dir
 	path = /home/topher
 	valid users = topher
 	read only = No
 	guest ok = Yes

My local windows VM doesn't see it when I browse.  When I type in
\\10.62.37.2\topher-home for the share I want to mount, it asks me for my
passwd but doesn't let me log in.

I can't even tell where it's failing, any ideas?

Topher
Manager of Internet Services
Cornerstone University Radio

------
"I'm running out of words to describe how fun this is."
 			-- Jason Weed, re: Linux