[GRLUG] google enterprise for email

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Wed Aug 6 18:05:45 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 13:02 -0400, Bruce Smith wrote:
> >> Does anyone have 1st hand knowledge of using the google enterprise for email
> >> services?  I believe GRCC is using google for their email server.  I'd
> >> especially be interested in hearing from someone on the IT side of things at
> >> GRCC or other place using google for email.
> >
> > Company I work for switched from
> > qmail/courier/spamassassin/squirellmail/etc to using Google Apps and
> > Google Mail... using our own domain name and so on.
>
> Yes, we did something similar at work.
> (sendmail/Cyrus-Imap/squirrelmail/Postini to google-apps)
>
> > It relatively easy to setup and get working. My only problem is they
> > don't really support "evolution" very well yet.
>
> What problem are you having with Evolution?  We have a couple people
> using Evolution without any problems (that I know of).  I personally
> prefer the gmail-apps web interface to any client, but that's personal
> preference.
>
> Are you using IMAP or POP3 w/Evolution?

IMAP, sometimes evolution gets "stuck", of course I have 180K messages.
All-Mail was causing much of the issue. Unsubscribe is finally possible
so Evolution doesn't baulk. Other than that.

> Google doesn't support the entire IMAP protocol.  i.e.  They don't do
> nested folders.  Is that the problem you're having?

Actually they do support nested folders. I have about 40 or so.

greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2