[GRLUG] Email overload

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Wed Apr 30 16:18:31 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 15:37 -0400, Collin wrote:
> This is sort of off topic but sort of on topic...
>
> I'm getting hundreds upon hundreds of bounce messages from all over the
> world today. Someone used our email domain as the sender address for not
> so nice emails (they didn't use our server they just claim to be us).
> Normally it isn't bad but today is terrible. Anyone else getting this?
> If it's on going what's the best course of action? ignore it? Use a mail
> filter to trashcan it (though legit bounce messages would be lost too)?
>
> I've tried sending this message to the list many times. My other posts
> show up but nothing on this topic... Maybe it was previously that I put
> in the word for fake canned meat or put in an example email address...
> Whatever is doing it ITS ANNOYING.

In an average month, I reject 5M-10M e-mails a month.

Most are from bots trying to deliver to (or through) my server, but
don't follow the RFCs for compliance (mostly for RFC822). They don't
make it past my pre-scanner SA-Exim.

For the 50K or so per month that *DO* make it then get fully SA scanned
and then either sorted to spam or plain dumped to /dev/null.

I've been dealing with SPAM and "reject notifications" which exacerbate
the bandwidth used... from "Polite" Systems admins... which should only
notify those that are *NOT* classified as spam, that are
rejected/bounced/etc.

And No Casey you guys aren't missing anything. If our e-mail addresses
are on any "archive" some where web accessible... robot-website-scrapers
will grab your e-mail address and use it for either sending to or
spoofing from.

I gave up trying to "0Bf5C471N6" my stuff as it was more effort than
just dealing with the flood and diverting it.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2