[GRLUG] Email overload

Topher topher at wcsg.org
Wed Apr 30 15:52:34 EDT 2008

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008, Collin wrote:

> I'm getting hundreds upon hundreds of bounce messages from all over the
> world today. Someone used our email domain as the sender address for not
> so nice emails (they didn't use our server they just claim to be us).
> Normally it isn't bad but today is terrible. Anyone else getting this?
> If it's on going what's the best course of action? ignore it? Use a mail
> filter to trashcan it (though legit bounce messages would be lost too)?

Yes, we've had that a couple times here in the last month.  It's called a
Joe Job, you can read about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_job

There's not much you can do about it.  During the fallout from something
like that, I *do* blackhole bounce reports.  It's just not worth dealing
with them.

Topher
Manager of Internet Services
Cornerstone University Radio

------
"Don't worry!  I'm a super hero!  I take care of monsters and sharks!"
                         -- Molly, to a friend