[GRLUG] Question of how to copy 20 Gig HD to smaller HD?

Rich Nagel networkman at triton.net
Mon Apr 14 19:38:03 EDT 2008

Yeah, now I'm replying to my own post because I have something to add that I don't completely understand.

For some reason, I began to think that there might be some hidden boot block or something that might not get included in the partition copying, so I figured what the heck?!  Why not try out a crazy idea - nothing else has worked!  So what I did was I used the original Sight Seer CD to install Geexbox 1.0 onto the 4 gig hard drive, partitioning it to just 600 meg, and let it do the install.  Did a test boot - booted as expected(without the auto-play).  Then I took the hd out and slaved it to the 30 Gig hd in another system, ran the GPartEd util and copied the partition from the 30 Gig onto the 4 gig hd (WITHOUT first deleting the existing 600meg partition on the 4 gig hd).  Everything copied fine, and I put the 4 Gig hd in the IPAQ -- and viola! it's booting and running perfectly.  Question now is: why?!?  :/

Rich