[GRLUG] Network gateway - Untangle

Douglas Rehfeldt drehfeldtusa at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 15:10:43 EDT 2008

Has anyone checked out the new network gateway, Untangle?  It's supposed
to be a "commercial-grade open source alternative to SonicWALL and
WatchGuard."  It reminds me of Smoothwall and other projects that use
open source software, but offer a paid version with additional
features.

The free version provides 12 Applications, software updates and
community support through their Wiki and Forums.  A list of apps
includes:  Spam Blocker - Spyware Blocker - Open VPN - Web Filter -
Phish Blocker - Attack Blocker - Protocol Control - Virus Blocker -
Untangle Reports - Intrusion Prevention - Firewall - Router

http://www.untangle.com/

There is an a free and professional version.  The professional version
is supposed to be capable of integrating with Active Directory.  I do
notice that they use snort signatures, but their own engine for IPS.  I
would prefer a snort engine.