[GRLUG] Adobe, RealNetworks back Linux on MIDs

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 16:12:26 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Rich Nagel <networkman at triton.net> wrote:
> Huh?  Why?  I'd think that backing from Adobe & RealNetworks would be a GOOD
>  thing. :/
>
>  Please explain.

Flash and Real's video codec are two of the very few pieces of closed
source software many people still use regularly.  Seeing them spread
is not a good thing.

A Good ThingTM would be Adobe contributing programmer time,
documentation, or money toward Gnash or swfdec to encourage
interoperability and standards.  I, for one, am not excited to see
closed, buggy, impossible to fix software spread onto platforms I have
a chance of using.

--tim