[GRLUG] NOT Linux

Josh Gant joshgant at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 15:20:34 EDT 2007

All,  (Hi - I'm new to the list)

I thought I'd mention another option.  I was a long time MythTV user and
I've switched over to just running Ubuntu on a PC connected to my 46"
display.  I use a RF keyboard/mouse.  I use Ted and Ktorrent to download TV
episodes and I like it quite a lot.  Ted is a java applet that searches the
torrent sites for TV shows and keeps track of what episodes it has
downloaded.  I prefer it over the MythTv option because I can watch TV shows
plus I have a full desktop in the living room.

http://www.ted.nu/

- Josh

On 10/30/07, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not Linux, but since one option is
> Myth,  Linux related.  Linux application
> anyway.
>
> My Panasonic DVD-RAM unit went dark
> and died yesterday.  Suiting my needs for
> recording programs, and then removing
> the 12 to 15 minutes of ads from each 30
> minutes of programming,  I first thought
> of simply replacing it.
>
> But not so simple.  A look around shows
> that Panasonic and its partners that
> spearhead the DVD-RAM approach have
> apparently abandoned the business.  One
> sees ads for "refurbished" units,  which
> can be OK, but I'd rather get something
> new.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions for a stand
> alone unit that might make a good
> replacement?  I suspect many units that
> record DVD +/- RW would suffice.  But
> the units take a beating when used in the
> way I described,  and some will probably
> last longer than others.
>
> A unit with a hard drive is an option too,
> but not one that has a monthly fee.
>
>     -Bob

Josh Gant
616.437.0060