[GRLUG] 64bit Linux

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Mon Oct 22 15:53:37 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 13:21 -0400, Collin Kidder wrote:
> Greg Folkert wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 09:42 -0400, Benjamin Flanders wrote:
> >
> >> Anyone have any experiences with 64bit linux lately?  I've been
> >> running i386 because I didn't want to mess with the the headaches that
> >> seemed to dog the 64bit releases a few years ago.
> >>

> > Yep, very good. I am running Debian SID for AMD64 (x86_64, EMT64...etc)
> > on my Lenovo T61 Core2Duo 2.2GHz with 4GB of memory. I have Java,
> > (32-bit)Flash, other stuff working just fine in the 64-bit browsers.
> > Pretty much I have zero complaints, barring "HD Audio" problems.
> >

> But, in reference to my post on the subject: Was there any technical
> reason you went 64 bit or did you do that just because you could or you
> were curious in a geeky sort of way? I'm running 32bit linux on my core2
> duo Toshiba x205 and everything except the fingerprint reader seems to
> work. I wanted to use 64 bit but I just didn't see any justification.

Nope not because I could. I did it as a first choice. I've been using
32-bit for years.

I saw some significant improvements in the way things were going. I just
installed it and had a few things go bad, mainly due to the fact it is
such a new chipset...

I have 4GB of RAM, as well. Everything works just fine. I have lots of
sutff running sometimes, I see no degradation during these intensive
times.

I see no reason *NOT* to use 64-bit, its long term, the 32-bit
abstraction is well defined and I feel qualified enough to say 32-bit is
done and all machine I get from now on are going to be 64-bit and run
64-bit OS and 32-bit abstraction for things like Flash/Java/whatever.