[GRLUG] Anyone interested in MythTV

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 22:12:27 EDT 2007

On 10/9/07, Justin Denick <justin.denick at gmail.com> wrote:
> I got mythtv up and running on gentoo earlier this year. I think the biggest
> hassle was setting up the trial account for local listings, after that, I
> was able to hook up a VCR and make AVI movies from VHS Tapes.
> I used avidemux to edit the videos.

Right.  These days it's easy to install Myth on pretty much any
distribution.  Where Mythbuntu differs, in my experience so far, is
there don't seem to be _any_ post-install gotchas.  None.  Want to
watch DVDs?  Done.  Surf the web?  That plugin's already installed.
Bought a new tuner?  Driver's already there.  So on and so forth.
Hell, there's even a GUI for configuring LIRC during the install.
I've been using Myth since 0.6 days and this is definitely the
slickest install I've seen yet.

Bonus points because the packages are the same ones in the official repos.

Just for reference, all these comments are about the 7.10 beta.

--tim