[GRLUG] Ubuntu installation problem

Steve Romanow slestak989 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 21:11:54 EST 2007

Jorge La wrote:
> I just recently return home from active duty and bought a Presario
> F700. I tried to install Ubuntu 7.10 on it, but the live CD does not
> boot correctly. I tried other older distros that I had laying around
> the house before I left. None of them worked except for DSL and Slax-I
> was kind of surprised. After some research, I found that this laptop
> has ACPI problems with linux. I'm not the only one who has problem
> with Linux on this laptop.
>
> I even try to boot with noacpi and acpi off but it still does not boot
> correctly. Single user and failsafe mode does not boot also. I am very
> confused. I can install Ubuntu with the Alt installer, but I can not
> log in, text or GUI mode.
>
> any help? (I got home 3 days after the install fest :-/)

If it will install with the alt install cd, I am assuming you have an
ati video card.  I have had this problem with a couple of laptops.  I
kinda prefer the alt cd install over the livecd, less flashy, but it
works.  I see you said noacpi, but some of the google hits I see state
noapic

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/difference-between-noapic-and-acpioff-kernel-parameters-454675/

Good luck with it.
I think Ubuntu could probably "work around" this silly ati problem, but
that would be allowing th ecurrent situation to exist.  By not workign
around it, ATI (AMD) has more reason to work on their drivers, so they
can save face with their consumers.