[GRLUG] Monitor Sleeping, Sorry, My first Post...Ever

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Wed Nov 21 15:33:45 EST 2007

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 09:24:13AM -0500, john-thomas richards wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 08:59:45AM -0500, Adam M. Erickson wrote:
> > Well actually my second, my first time it was in RTF on accident,
> > really sorry for the mess that posted.
> >
> > THis is going to sound like a low tech solution but somethimes that is
> > the best fix. You mentioned that the monitor dims on serveral of the
> > same type of machine running Knoppix and/or XP. With/without NVIDIA
> > and changes to all bios settiengs you can think of.
> >
> > The only other solution I can think of is that your monitor is either
> > shot or has a messed up energy setting. Have you tried replacing the
> > monitor and did it dim when you started the memtest?
>
> I am wondering if the monitor is the cause.  That seems to be the most
> logical at this point, though I did have the same result with an LCD on
> one of the attempts to install [XP|Knoppix] (I do not remember which).
> I am not sure if I have another CRT around!  When I bought my house a
> year and a half ago I got rid of a *bunch* of stuff, including old 15"
> CRT's.  I may have one in the garage.  May.  :-|

I forgot about the CRT on the lone Windows machine (for games) I have.
:-)  The bad news is that swapping monitors gives the same results,
though this time the monitor has a message about shutting down in five
seconds (definitely a monitor message, not from the OS).  I am stumped.
--
john-thomas
------