[GRLUG] IBM NetVista not booting graphical environment

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 00:47:43 EST 2007

On Nov 21, 2007 12:23 AM, Raymond McLaughlin <driveray at ameritech.net> wrote:
> john-thomas richards wrote:
> > When it does so, the monitor goes into sleep mode and requires a
> > hard reboot (the keyboard becomes unresponsive).  I thought this was odd
> > behavior so I got another *identical* machine (literally; he received a
> > donation of several identical machines from a local business) and tried
> > installing XP onto that blank drive (after formatting, of course).  Again the
> > monitor went into sleep mode.  I then booted the machine with a Knoppix CD.
> > The initial splash screen (complete with graphic and a "boot:" prompt) comes
> > up but when I type in "knoppix" to start Knoppix, the monitor again goes into
> > sleep mode and requires a hard reboot.  The behavior is identical with XP and
> > Knoppix on three machines.  I suspect it is an idiosyncracy with IBM hardware.
> > Any suggestions?
>
> In addition to the other suggestions, you might try booting knoppix with
> "acpi=off" and "noamp".

I think you meant noapm.  Good suggestion, though.  I've had a couple
systems I had to disable or limit ACPI on.

There are more fine-grained options available, too.  URL is to Ubuntu,
but the kernel is common to all distros. :-)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions#head-e95c9e129e9eb9fca524fe278cd57fcdb39db62d

(Don't know why it's HTTPS, though...)