[GRLUG] What are you doing to expose people to Linux?

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 15:58:53 EST 2007

On Nov 20, 2007 3:49 PM, john-thomas richards <jtr at jrichards.org> wrote:
> Yeah, but other than *that* what are you doing?  :-)

Best.  Reply.  Ever.

> I installed Linux on my parents computer a few years ago.  They use dial-up
> for email and *light* web surfing.  Still, they would rather have Windows
> because it is what they use at work.  :-(  Then again, they told me recently
> about conversations they have with friends who lament various problems with
> their computers (i.e., Windows) and they simply could not relate to those
> problems.  ("Sometimes you have to reboot to print?  Huh?  How odd...")  They
> simply *think* they would rather have Windows.  What they really need is a
> newer computer and a faster connection to the internet.

I've had great success giving those sort of people Linux in a
dual-boot configuration...  Inevitably, Windows breaks, they can't get
ahold of me (see aforementioned responsibilities), they decide to give
this crazy Linux thing a try afterall, and I get a call 2 months later
asking me how to rotate a picture in gThumb.  The trick is to let
_them_ decide they want to use Linux.  Works every time.

--tim