[GRLUG] What are you doing to expose people to Linux?

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 15:33:22 EST 2007

On Nov 20, 2007 3:20 PM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem could come when they go and
> buy do-dads that aren't supported on Linux.

I don't think so...  In fact, I tend to see the opposite.  Folks are
stunned that the webcam they never got to work right comes to life
under Linux.  Their printer didn't require a 150Mb download (because
they lost the driver CD).  I've even had a few folks burn their first
successful CD under Linux - and not for a lack of trying.

Yes, there will always be the odd unsupported doodad, but drivers are
now officially something we Do BetterTM than anyone else.  Ever.  And
we still have lots of room to improve.  That should tell you
something.

--tim

P.S. I'm one of two IT staff at a > 100 employee company rolling out
Linux backend and desktop solutions daily.  Where we can't use Linux,
we roll out Firefox, use OO.o wherever we can get away with it, and
roll our own FOSS web-apps.  I'm also a director of the Open Hardware
Foundation, supporting the efforts of folks designing hardware in the
spirit of FOSS - especially the Open Graphics Project.  In what spare
time I have left, I'm organizing the tech track for the 2008 Penguicon
in Troy, MI.

Working hard toward FOSS world domination.