[GRLUG] Passing button press events

Justin Popa tehpopa at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 13:50:27 EST 2007

Okay so here's the deal. I switched from Linux to Windows for a couple of
reasons, and really, they were basically dumb reasons that I should be able
to get around. So here's my thoughts.

The biggest reason I dropped Linux was because of SLI not working(new
motherboard, so not a problem anymore) and Ventrilo. For those who don't
know, vent is an application that handles voice chat. When a user hits the
'Push To Talk' button they've configured in the program, the software begins
to stream out the mic audio. In windows this is a simple app, and the push
to talk button is found using DirectX. In Linux, that's 1 of 2 problems.
Apparently X will only send keypresses to the current targeted application.
Meaning if I'm alt-tabbed into WoW or Firefox, I can't use the PTT button.
My thought is this:

1) Install VMWare over Ubuntu Feisty or Fed 8
2) Install Ventrilo on the VMWare server
3) Configure VMWare to use a second sound card for Mic Input and audio
output, then pump the output from there into my 'Linux' audio card so I can
hear it.
4) Here's the hard part: set up an app that can copy keypresses from the
mouse /dev device and relay them to the VMWare window.

I can handle 1-3 no problem, but I don't even know where to start on part 4.
Anyone ever had to do anything like this?