[GRLUG] Describe your intro to Linux

Benjamin Flanders flanderb at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 09:39:25 EST 2007

I first heard about Linux in an OS class at GVSU, around '98.  The
first distro I installed at home was Suse 6.4 back in 2000.  I moved
onto Mandrake up until last year when I made one to many changes in
the urpmi repositories and had packages messed up and conflicting.  I
tried (K)Ubuntu and never returned to Mandrake(Now Mandriva).

I dual boot Kubuntu and WindowsXP, but I only ever used Windows for
video transcoding.  I am learning how to do this in Linux so my plan
is to wipe Windows off the computer by next spring.  At least that is
my hope.  I have to convince my wife that she doesn't need those darn
Windows only time constrained trial Yahoo games.

BTW I still consider myself relatively noobish.  I can do shell
scripts, but only with references from the web constantly being
referenced.  I've only used a small portion of the command line
utilities available and even then only straight forward use of those
utilities.  I am constantly going to man pages and I am always
learning something new.  I think that is why I like Linux so much, and
maybe why some people don't.

--
Share and Enjoy
Ben