[GRLUG] large systems performance

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 01:16:19 EST 2007

On Nov 16, 2007 12:57 AM, Tim Schmidt <timschmidt at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 16, 2007 12:45 AM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  I'd think swapping could be pretty fast in an
> > out of memory, but the instant it involves
> > a hard drive it's over.
>
> ?  Swapping always involves block storage of some type.  How much it
> hurts again, depends on memory access patterns of your load, as well
> as what percentage of the working set is swapped, and so on.

Heh.  It could start hurting even more.  Apparently they're getting
close to implementing swap over NFS.  It's intended for diskless
cluster environments, but it still stands to complicate performance
issues.  Sub-optimal performance?  Do you have a bad network cable, or
are your jobs eating too much memory?