[GRLUG] Describe your intro to Linux

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 01:09:09 EST 2007

On Nov 14, 2007 11:37 PM, Steve Romanow <slestak989 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Bob Kline wrote:
> >

> > On Nov 14, 2007 9:51 PM, john-thomas richards <jtr at jrichards.org
> > <mailto:jtr at jrichards.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 06:42:32PM -0500, Godwin wrote:
> >     > Welcome in deed Steve!  Good to have someone with "long time"
> >     knowledge...  ;-)
> >
> >     Speaking of that, and completely off the topic of this thread, I
> >     have used
> >     Linux now for ten years.  Who on this list has been using it
> >     longer than that?
> >
> >     --
> >     john-thomas
> >     -----
> >
> Wow, good topic.
>
> I think I am sitting at 1996, I worked for Inland Truck Parts in KC,
> Mo.  My boss said we could run anything on our laptops EXCEPT a product
> from Redmond.  So I had Redhat installed on a Fujitsu Lifebook.  I was
> too much of a noob, I didnt install it, my friend Dean (a yooper)
> installed it.  For personal full time use, that'd prob be 2002 or so.  I
> think it was when I realized the only way I could have a completely
> legal system (because I was broke) was to depend on FOSS.

I don't remember exactly when I started using Linux.  I think it was
early winter when I was in 8th grade, which would put it in 1997.  My
parents ran a local BBS and ISP (called Cyberspace BBS and GRNet,
respectively), and the DNS server and Lynx shells ran on a Red Hat
box.  A couple friends of mine talked about nothing but Linux, so I
thought I'd give it a try.  I installed it and got it working, and was
completely taken by the screen savers...

That's how I got started in Linux.

I almost got my UNIX start with FreeBSD three years earlier.  I'd been
downloading shareware and DOOM mods from CDRom.com, and I noticed that
all the FTP greetings said the servers were running FreeBSD.  I asked
my dad to get me a copy, but was told it didn't have any games.
(Technically untrue; I've gotten more replay value out of the bsdgames
package than most of the DOS games I played.)