[GRLUG] running kplayer or kaffeine crashes X

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 21:17:44 EST 2007

On Nov 12, 2007 9:03 PM, eah <darth_linux at ameritech.net> wrote:
> On Monday 12 November 2007 20:54:43 pm Michael Mol wrote:
>
> > Any video, or just videos of a particular codec?
> >
> > On Nov 12, 2007 8:29 PM, eah <darth_linux at ameritech.net> wrote:
> > > hey all,
> > >
> > > if i try to play video using kaffeine or kplayer, fedora7 crashes x.
> > > any suggestions?
> > >
> > > thanks,

[snip]

> does this data from /var/log/messages help? (xorg.conf attached)
> Nov 12 20:26:00 mobiledarth kernel: [fglrx] PCIe has already been initialized.
> Reinitializing ...
> Nov 12 20:26:00 mobiledarth kernel: [fglrx] GART Table is not in FRAME_BUFFER
> range
> Nov 12 20:26:00 mobiledarth kernel: [fglrx] Reserve Block - 0 offset =  0X0
> length = 0X40000
> Nov 12 20:26:00 mobiledarth kernel: [fglrx] Reserve Block - 1 offset =
> 0X7ff5000 length = 0Xb000
> Nov 12 20:27:18 mobiledarth kdm[2380]: X server for display :0 terminated
> unexpectedly

Did you kill X manually (i.e. through Ctrl-Alt-Backspace or via a kill
command), or did it die on its own?  There's a 78 second gap between
the last fglrx log and the kdm alert.  If everything happened
automatically, I wouldn't necessarily blame fglrx.

And, you're right, avi, wmv and mpg files would use different codecs.
mpg and wmv would certainly be different.

If you don't have it already, install mplayer.  It has a command-line
option that lets you control how video gets put on the screen.  You
can select between straight X11, XVideo (xv), a couple OpenGL
approaches, and even AALib.  If you can determine which output mode
crashes X, you'll have a better idea which subsystem is to blame.

To get a list list of the video output modes you can try, type:
mplayer -vo help