[GRLUG] Editors

Carlus Henry carlushenry at sagetech-llc.com
Mon Nov 12 09:32:29 EST 2007

I am also a big fan of Vim and Eclipse as well.  One of the biggest
productivity drains I have found is reliance on the mouse.  If you think
about every time you have to consciously move your hand from the keyboard in
order to make an application do something using the mouse, you will see how
unproductive this is.

So with both Eclipse and Vim, I have decided that I have to learn all of the
shortcuts necessary in order to get detox from using the mouse.

With Vim, Zach mentioned the file navigation.  The way that I accomplish the
file navigation without the mouse in Vim is through the ":Explore" command.
This will change Vim so that it is in the file browser mode.  Another neat
trick is to use the ":Sexplore" which will split your Vim session, keeping
open the file you are currently editing and open another editor / browser to
browse the file system.  Of course with both of these commands, you are able
to put in the starting location of where you want to browse files.

In Eclipse, I am a huge fan of the shortcuts.  The two main ones that relate
to this discussion are the Ctrl+Shift+R, which will open a Resource browser
that will allow you to start typing the file that you want to bring up in
the editor.  This works great, because as you are typing the list of search
matches slowly begin to dwindle, until you are left with the one of your
choice.  The other shortcut is the Ctrl+Shift+T, which is specifically used
for searching across types.  The best thing of all has to be that you can
use '*' in order to match as well.

Thanks
Carlus

--