[GRLUG] Web filter for kids?

Collin Kidder adderd at kkmfg.com
Thu Nov 8 14:43:06 EST 2007

> It is the "accidental" images that concern me.  Last winter, after getting a
> Wii and the new Zelda for Christmas, I was looking for a bit of help figuring
> out a task in the game.  I - with my son beside me - was reading a Zelda
> walkthrough on a popular game site (the name eludes me at this point) when I
> scrolled down a bit more to find a picture of a sex act that...well, somebody
> please poke out my mind's eye.  Please.

Actually thats one of the reasons that filters are so ineffective. You
can do your best to block the bad sites and then still accidentally see
a bad image on an otherwise good site. You could get spyware/adware and
have them display bad content on good pages.
This makes even whitelisting far from foolproof. It's a hard, hard
problem to solve.