[GRLUG] Web filter for kids?

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 13:50:39 EST 2007

> Yeah, I know of an excellent one. It's foolproof even. It's called
> parents. ;-) Seriously... Content filtering is a losing game. It never
> seems to work right. Things always slip through the cracks. On top of
> that, you either trust your kids on the net (which I wouldn't... I was a
> teenager once) or you supervise. I suppose you might want some sort of
> content filtering in case they accidentally get to somewhere bad.
> Still, this is a losing game. I don't care how good you think your kids
> are kids will try to get to places they shouldn't and content filters
> tend to work worth dog crap. Just my incredibly sunshiny opinion. ;-)

Your opinion is spot-on when applied to adults (in the workplace) and
teenagers, who will actively attempt to defeat filters. But I think a
content filter for a young child is a good thing until he can understand the
difference between places he is allowed to go and places he should not be
going. The age when that happens will be different for each child. I think a
whitelist is good for very small children, a strict porn/gore filter is
appropriate for pre-teens, and hopefully he will have a sense of right and
wrong by the time he is a teenager and able to hack around whatever you put
in front of him.

I have been thinking a lot about this subject because my first child is
currently overdue by five days.