[GRLUG] External drive transfer rates

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 16:57:21 EST 2007

On Nov 6, 2007 4:35 PM, Justin Denick <justin.denick at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/6/07, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Both the internal drive and the
> > one hanging off the USB 2 cable
> > are IDE.
> >
> > When I run the backup,  the
> > machine is doing little else, so I'd
> > guess the CPU is not particularly
> > loaded.
> >
> > I'm a little puzzled as to why the
> > hdparm  "d" parameter does not
> > function,  but  the write says hdparm
> > does not work with all chip sets.
>

> I tried setting DMA on one of my IDE drives connected via usb
> and I got the same error message.
> The kernel doesn't see it as a PATA drive but rather SATA.

As I mentioned of the  options  c, u, d,  and  a,
hdparm  only reports anything  for a.   Either
there are a lot of unsupported chip sets out
there,  as the man page writeup suggests,  or
hdparm needs work.

Anyway,  for now I'll just set my backups
to run overnight and consider the rest of it
an unresolved problem for now.  I gather
not too many people are doing what I'm
doing here - using a drive at the end of a
USB 2 port.

I wonder whether FireWire works any better?

     -Bob