[GRLUG] DELL'S UBUNTU OFFERING SHOWS WHY LINUX IS ITS OWN WORST ENEMY

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Tue May 29 11:36:40 EDT 2007

On 5/29/07, Casey DuBois <cdubois at n-vint.com> wrote:
> Sorry Tim,
> I was posting this on the GRLUG list because it talks about Linux and driver issues, I figured someone on this list had some experience and good information to offer about these issues.
>
> As for it being all caps I just cut and pasted and am sorry if I offended anyone.

No big deal.  I wasn't mad...  just attempting to poke a little fun.  My bad.

The article doesn't mention a single specific driver issue...  just
nebulous 'your printer may not work' issues.  Nor does the article
attempt to point out the root causes of the problems it mentions
(media codec support and potential lack of a peripheral driver).  As
if it weren't bad enough, he mentions that Vista may have the same
problems, but they've only had 5 years to work on it, and it's
problems are mostly 'drivers not working correctly' as opposed to an
absence of drivers.

Didn't know that made a difference to end users.

--tim