[GRLUG] Argument list too long

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue May 15 22:52:41 EDT 2007

On 5/15/07, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/15/07, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Maybe I'm not understanding things here.
> I thought the -s parameter referred to the
> argument list size?

You're right, but there are operating-system limits, too.  Hm.  A
check of the xargs man page on my system reveals a "--show-limits"
argument.

shortcircuit at caterpillar~
22:51:00 $ xargs --show-limits
Your environment variables take up 1510 bytes
POSIX lower and upper limits on argument length: 2048, 129024
Maximum length of command we could actually use: 127514
Size of command buffer we are actually using: 127514

> Anyway,  I did try various values between 2K
> and 8K,  and get the same message.
>
>       -Bob

What exactly again is the error message?