[GRLUG] opinions?

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu May 10 11:59:32 EDT 2007

On 5/10/07, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> Even a little less high tech,  don't forget
> to vacuum the inside the box now and
> then.  All that air going in and out deposits
> a lot of dust on  cooling fins.
>
> I've seen the temperature of the CPU on
> an ASUS board drop as much as 5 degrees
> Celsius after doing that long neglected
> vacuum job.  That even with the small fan
> on top of the fin structure.

This leads to a point I wanted to address.  If you can find a way to
filter the air going into your computer, it's worth the investment.

My desktop is an old rackmount server with a removable filter covering
the intake fans.  I live in an apartment with seven cats.  While I
have to rinse the filter every few weeks, I've had zero buildup of
dust and debris inside the computer itself.