[GRLUG] GRLUG meetings

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Mon May 7 14:20:28 EDT 2007

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 12:29:51PM -0400, Justin Denick wrote:
[snip]
> You know, if people on the  KDE team had this much energy we would all be
> running kde 5.0 right now.

Not all of us would be...

;-)

> It's no wonder a decent meenting can't be held! This list can't seem to
> agree on how they shoudl communicate, how on earth could they instruct or
> assist someone in an arena where collaboration and conceptualization are
> required?
>
> Dude, it is 2007 and we have come a long ways from Ray Tomlinson and SNDMSG.
> We all think it's cool to relive the good'ol days. I have some 80's music in
> my house right now. But c'mon, let's keep it real, while were at it.

This conversation has long ceased to be beneficial.  That being said,
this issue was decided in the 1980's.  Not everything that is old is
bad.  There was much wisdom in the netiquette established then.  What
has changed that renders the netiquette of the 1980's moot?

> Why doesn't someone give the advantages and disadvantages to send in either
> text or HTML, using an webmail, or a client interface.

I use mutt.  Others on this list use mutt.  Or pine.  Or mailx.  Or any
other console-based MUA.  When I receive an HTML mail, I have to read
between myriad tags to get to the important part of the message - the
message.  A mailing list should be readable by all.  HTML mail does not
accomplish this.

> I'll begin
>
> My name is Justin and I am a Systems Administrator.
>
> I like using Kmail for my professional email and Gmail for my personal
> email.
>
> I like to keep the two separate for ethical reasons.
>
> I compose in text because I think my messages should be succinct and free of
> any distractions.
>
> I always top post unless to do so would cloud my point or otherwise take
> away from my message.
> Like if I wish to correct someone or insert a quick line
>
> Godwin wrote:
> Why does this command fail?
>
> godwin at his_work$ grep lunch /dev/fridge
>
> Justin wrote:
> try this command (your fridge must be set to NULL)
> and consider recompiling your grocery deps
> >godwin at his_work$ grep lunch /dev/fridge
> godwin at pizza_hut$ grep lunch /dev/waitress
>
> In doing this Godwin can compare his code to mine.
>
> Otherwise top posting is fine or bottom posting is cool too. I'm smart
> enough to see the difference and adhust my strategy immediately.

This seems to be more of an example of interspersing your comments in
the natural flow of the text rather than top-posting.  I would be
top-posting if my various paragraphs were lumped at the top of this
message.

This is the last I will say about this.
--
john-thomas