[GRLUG] Cheap Laptop Needed

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Fri Mar 30 14:11:37 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 13:54 -0400, phillip hebenstreit wrote:
> HI,
>
> There is a software product called LoJack that tracks down your stolen
> laptop and gives you info to give to the police.  I think they also
> help you get it back.  All the new Dells come with a homing program
> built into the bios that does the same thing.

"Dude you are getting a jail sentence!"... No there is not a BIOS
related homing program. What kind of crack did you buy and where can I
get some?

No, really, BIOS doesn't have this kind of support. If it did, imagine 3
years from now how much traffic Dell's servers would be doing on *JUST*
the machine sold in the previous 3 years. Imagine properly sold
machine... you buy the Dell from your company or relative, BAM the
police arrive and arrest you. Oops, you company/relative forgot to
transfer the "location" and authentication info to you.

No, you are thinking about the early boot programs that do that, for
Windows only. MACs have that built-into the OS.

Not even beginning to be in the BIOS. Maybe 20 years off.

> There are also other products that do the same thing, but I forget the
> names.

Yeap, all of them are programs for the OS.
greg, greg at gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup