[GRLUG] Cheap Laptop Needed

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 12:51:35 EDT 2007

On 3/30/07, Greg Folkert <greg at gregfolkert.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 11:18 -0400, Collin wrote:
> > Unless, of course, they are dumb enough to connect it to an IP
> > registered to themselves or a single business.
>
> Not really. You of course have reported your laptop stolen. But wait, we
> are talking Linux here. Linux has a login process... he in lies the
> problem. They (the thief) will install a different OS or just pawn the
> thing off, as it is not usable to them. No user login or password, that
> is unless you configured an auto login. Which I *know* you didn't.
>
> So, well. Everything you want, depends on a smart Linux user. All for
> naught.

Not quite.  Cron jobs run without user interaction.  But, yeah, the
system is unlikely to remain online for long, once the thief discovers
he's unable to use it.

Hm.  Having the connection run as part if the ifup script might be
better; No worries about whether or not the cron job will roll around
while the system is wired up.