[GRLUG] Cheap Laptop Needed

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 22:29:20 EDT 2007

On 3/29/07, Jorge La <weeneedhelp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yesterday, I parked my car at work for 45 minutes and when i came out,
> someone went and stole my messenger bag, the laptop that was in the
> messenger bag, my remote car starter (to my own car... they cant even use
> that, so i don't know why they stoled it), my CDs, and cut the power wire to
> my cop detector. Poop.
>
> Anyways, is their anyone selling or have a spare laptop laying around that
> they are willing to sell? It doesn't need to be that powerful. The stolen
> laptop was a Celeron Coppermine with 256mb RAM running Xubuntu. All I used
> it for was surfing.

I'll keep an eye out.

But this really brings to mind a service/piece of software I was
thinking about writing.  My desktop has a cron job to wget a missing
file on my web server account.  When I need to connect to it, I check
the error logs to get the IP address. (Yes, I know I should use dyndns
or cjb.  I haven't bothered to look into it yet.)

I've been thinking about replacing the missing file with a PHP script
which keeps a short history of accesses.  It wouldn't be much of a
stretch to add an identifying field to the GET method request, and
look up results by field.  That way, if your system is plugged in and
connected to the net, you can easily find out the network it's
connecting from, especially if it's configured to connect to any old
available network.