[GRLUG] Hosting Companies

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Wed Mar 14 12:15:12 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 11:42 -0400, Benjamin Flanders wrote:
> Last July there was some discussion about the best web hosting
> companies.  Lunarpages and Dreamhost were pointed out as being
> particularly good.  I did some research and found some old Lunarpages
> and Dreamhost sucks pages and some recent issues with both hosts.  I
> am taking the "xyz sucks" pages with a grain of salt, but the stories
> are still worrying.
>
> I trust the lug to point me in the right direction.  I am looking at
> playing with RoR or other frameworks and perhaps going public with my
> app.  The price points for the two aforementioned services are about
> right for me, and the large disk space and bandwidth limits are
> excessive for right now, but who knows about the future, I just might
> need them.  I can dream big right?
>
> Any thoughts on hosting companies?

Okay, I use my own hardware. I have a colo setup in a Troy Michigan
company. I use Waveform

http://www.waveform.net/services.php

I have been happily bouncing along. If you fit in the size manifest they
have, you to can do 1000GB/month and a colo'd machine for $50/month.
Static IP and all. Additional IP for $1/month, additional GB of Data for
(not $0.50/gb as published there) but @ $0.05/gb.

The one thing, the support is spotty, but they *DO* know what they are
doing and are in "explosive growth" mode. So for a while things might
just be hairy... though I have not had ANY outages due to them. ME? I've
caused issue on my machine... but well, it was a PEBCAK error.
greg, greg at gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup