[GRLUG] swap benchmarking

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 08:53:13 EST 2007

On 2/19/07, Ben Rousch <brousch at orthicomp.com> wrote:
>> I should mention, as well, that (as far as I know) CF only knows how
>> to do PIO.  So you'll get 16 or 33Mb/s max out of it, and with
>> somewhat higher CPU utilization than any DMA-capable disk.  USB, of
>> course, has similar issues.  Most SSDs should do DMA, however.
>
> As my Grandpa says, "What else do you want, eggs in your beer?"

Just bringing up a valid, and rarely mentioned data point for anyone
considering using flash for /, swap, or otherwise.

I may be coming across as anti-flash...  which is not my intention.  I
think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Love the stuff.
But it doesn't currently make sense for most people to use as swap,
and it's not quite cheap enough for most people to use as /...  just
over-broad generalizations.  I currently use flash, under some
circumstances, for both.

Just trying to get all the pertinent information out here on the list,
so interested folk can make educated decisions.  :)

--tim