[GRLUG] GRLug Meetings - volunteers?

Godwin geektoyz at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 23:45:36 EST 2007

Dave, that command ("set | grep DISPLAY") doesn't *do* anything, but
show you that the server to which a command would send the graphics to
be rendered is LOCAL.  You can set the DISPLAY environment variable to
any box running an Xserver to which you have permission to *write* (or
send graphics).

Alternatively, the "ssh -X" is what tells the (remote) ssh daemon to
pull the graphics (displaying job) back to the client (your local
box).  You can "ssh -X" from Box1 to Box2 then Box3, then launch
'xterm' on Box3 and it will travel all the way back to Box1 - albeit
sloooooow as heck if the boxes are on slow connections or over wifi.
Pretty cool stuff.  There's a proggy called "xrdp" which (supposedly)
allows you to login to an X session on a *nix box using the <gulp>
Windows Remote Desktop Client.

Not easy to setup, but Justin got some use out of it where we work.
Kudos to him too. ;-)

G-

On 2/13/07, David Pembrook <david at pembrook.net> wrote:

>  any reason why I shouldn't put the "set | grep DISPLAY" line in my .bashrc
> on the remote box?
>
>  Dave
>
>  Greg Folkert wrote:
>  On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 16:27 -0500, john-thomas richards wrote:
>

>  On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 04:05:24PM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
>

>  On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 15:28 -0500, Szymon Machajewski wrote:
>

>  This sounds good Mike.
>
> Let's make the March 1 meeting at GRCC in 214ATC.
>
> As the first point of discussion we will take X11 forwarding over SSH.
>
>  ssh -X -A somenode.somedomain.dom
>
> Once there:
>
> set | grep DISPLAY
>
> The run your X proggy. Example follows.
>
>  greg at prince:~$ ssh -X -A duke
>  Last login: Tue Feb 13 15:54:38 2007 from prince
>  greg at duke:~$ set | grep DISPLAY
>  DISPLAY=localhost:10.0
>  greg at duke:~$ sudo synaptic &
>  [1] 12720
>  greg at duke:~$ jobs
>  [1]+ Running sudo synaptic &
>
> I have full GUI from the remote machine.
>
> Cheers.
>
>  Everything is intuitive once you know how to do it. :-)
>
>  Or as I like to say:
>
>  I knew it as soon as you said it.
>

>  A few questions:
>
> Why would I start an app from a command line?
>
>  Mainly because most typically only single application running at a time
> from a remote host. Also, that is why I backgrounded it, so I could run
> another app.
>

>  Is the command line via ssh or is it from within an xterm?
>
>  You could in theory run the whole thing from an icon with the proper
> options in the command being run by the icon.
>
> But I typically have about 20 X-terms (gnome-terminal actually) open at
> any one time while working.
>

>  Does this automatically start a window manager?
>
>  Why would you want *ANOTHER* window manager running, since you already
> have one local?
>
> In any case TRY running a Window Manager before an app a second, you'll
> discover something fairly basic, when you fully understand "X"
>

>  What do I use as an X server?
>
>  You only have to use you LOCAL X-server. Remember, X is opposite of what
> you would think. The Graphics are being rendered locally on your machine
> in front of you. So *THAT* is why it is called an *X-Server*. The actual
> machine the program is executing on (the traditional server) is actually
> a *X Client* to your *X Server*. It sends the info that needs to be
> rendered to you local machine.
>

>  VNC?
>
>  (or VINO or any of the other ones like it)
> Yes you could use it, but then you are forcing the REMOTE machine to
> execute the program *AND* render it AND then SEND 100% of the screen
> updates. More work on the remote end AND typically more network traffic.
> There are some features the VNC and the like have over straight X stuff.
>

>  Something else?

> [...]

Ubber::Geek
http://grlug.org/