[GRLUG] GRLug Meetings - volunteers?

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Tue Feb 13 16:27:13 EST 2007

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 04:05:24PM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 15:28 -0500, Szymon Machajewski wrote:
> > This sounds good Mike.
> >
> > Let's make the March 1 meeting at GRCC in 214ATC.
> >
> > As the first point of discussion we will take X11 forwarding over SSH.
>
> ssh -X -A somenode.somedomain.dom
>
> Once there:
>
> set | grep DISPLAY
>
> The run your X proggy. Example follows.
>
>         greg at prince:~$ ssh -X -A duke
>         Last login: Tue Feb 13 15:54:38 2007 from prince
>         greg at duke:~$ set | grep DISPLAY
>         DISPLAY=localhost:10.0
>         greg at duke:~$ sudo synaptic &
>         [1] 12720
>         greg at duke:~$ jobs
>         [1]+  Running                 sudo synaptic &
>
> I have full GUI from the remote machine.
>
> Cheers.

Everything is intuitive once you know how to do it.  :-)

A few questions:

Why would I start an app from a command line?  Is the command line via ssh or is
it from within an xterm?  Does this automatically start a window manager?  What
do I use as an X server?  VNC?  Something else?  Can I disconnect/reconnect a
la screen?  Does this provide me a full-fledged desktop environment of my
choice (dr16)?

Good thing we will have an entire presentation.  Bad thing that it starts at
4:00PM.

;-)
--
john-thomas