[GRLUG] List Etiquette (Was: Linux desktop marketshare)

Joshua Hulst josh at hulst.ws
Tue Dec 11 20:35:18 EST 2007

On Tuesday 11 December 2007 05:39:21 pm Greg Folkert wrote:
> BTW, see how nicely and well formatted message with in-line replies and
> with proper snipage, makes the entire conversation much more readable?
>
> Come on people, it only takes a bit more time to make these e-mails much
> more readable, Of course, to reformat Bob Kline's took more time and
> effort, but the overall effect means this discussion is much more
> understandable.

I completely agree.

> And, Bob, e-mail is not a Newspaper, its a completely different medium.
> If you haven't figured that out yet... I find your e-mails very tough to
> read, there are not multiple columns. If there were multiple columns,
> then I could understand your argument.

The way I see it, the reader can format it how they want.  If I want a narrow
column, I can adjust it on my screen.  I don't see why that should be imposed
by the sender.

Etiquette rules are not only for those of us reading now, but if the list is
archived someday, descriptive titles combined with bottom posting, snipping
and correct quoting are invaluable to those reading it.

I think it'd be valuable to try and come up with some guidelines as the
current mish-mash makes following conversations difficult and reduces the
effectiveness.

jwh