[GRLUG] Linux desktop marketshare

Nathan ndrier at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 13:43:13 EST 2007

On Dec 11, 2007 1:30 PM, Ben Rousch <brousch at gmail.com> wrote:

> Speaking of low-end PCs, I have been an Ubuntu user since Warty, and I
> have noticed that it gets a little more bloated with each new version. Gutsy
> is very pretty, but I am swapping a lot more often than I used to on the
> same hardware (Thinkpad T20 with 512 and Thinkpad T30 with 512MB). I have
> tried a few of the ultra-stripped down distros (DSL and Puppy), but they
> tend to be ugly and lack a lot of functionality I have come to expect such
> as fully-functional Firefox/Flash/Java. I have also tried Xubuntu, but you
> lose a lot of the Gnome polish that makes Ubuntu so user-friendly. Are there
> any polished distros that target computers with 1-2GHz procs and 512MB of
> RAM? Computers - especially laptops - with those specs are very cheap these
> days and it would be nice to have something pretty and functional to install
> on them.

Debian may not be as polished as Ubuntu - but i'm always amazed how much
faster a Debian install is with a full gnome-desktop vs the latest Ubuntu.

Ease of use and amazing hardware support comes with a performance penalty.
You could always try rolling your own kernel and get rid of all the gunk you
don't need.  SCSI,  IRDA, wireless drivers, dial-up, and alot of other
things are compiled in by default.  You'll find a ton of HOWTO's on
ubuntuforums.org.

Nate