[GRLUG] Ubuntu Laptop Still Slow

Nathan Drier ndrier at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 11:09:14 EST 2007

Steve Romanow wrote:
> maybe try booting another distro's livecd to see if it is an "ubuntu"
> prob lem, maybe knoppix or mandrake live.

Thats a good idea to try - grab a knoppix cd.

I played with it for a little bit at the meeting,  it sure was weird.
Running top - both processors would idle at a couple percent each.  The
load never changed when opening programs...it just idled while it was
opening anything.  No heavy ram useage,  no big disk I/O crunch.

Firefox took a good 10 - 15 seconds to open.  Even Nautilus was taking
forever to open.

Could it be some goofy chipset in the laptop that isnt well supported yet?

Jorge - whats the make and model of that critter?

Nate