[GRLUG] Active Partitions

Justin Denick justin.denick at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 12:19:53 EST 2007

On Dec 5, 2007 11:50 AM, Greg Folkert <greg at gregfolkert.net> wrote:

> [...]
> disk *RELIABLY*. Sure it has been able to for a long time, but you had
> to ensure you really has the *right* version of LILO.
>
> > > Also, GRUB doesn't need to know exactly where the booting image is, but
> > > it does have to be able to *read* the file-system upon which the booting
> > > kernel/image, or chain-load it from things like Windows or OS2.
> > >
> > > Personally, I use GRUB only because it is more reliable for remote
> > > machines, compared to LILO.
> >
> > A piece of software that forgives operator error, should not be deemed more
> > reliable than one that doesn't.
>
> Nope, we are talking about NOT operator error, but DISTRO PROVIDER
> ERROR. Specifically RedHat Enterprise Linux v3 update 9 and v4 update 5.
>
> These machines had been upgraded since forever. Reboots are always
> fraught with problems when using LILO. Even when properly setup, there
> is a good chance that LILO will not properly detect the right setup.
>
> We are talking machines with 30+ disks and 2-5 drive controllers, about
> 8 kernels (smp and up and revisions if problems occur with the new
> kernel) installed at any one time.
>
> One feature GRUB has is command line booting, in other words, even *IF*
> someone blows away the menu.lst, you can still boot the machine FROM the
> GRUB prompt, assuming you know how to do this.
>
> LILO failure == booting a recovery disk and hopefully having the
> recovery disk evaluate the numerous disk in the same order so that LILO
> writes the (apparent) MBR properly.
>
> > > Of all the machines I've had not reboot properly, *recently*, all have
> > > been LILO.
> >
> > Was it LILO's fault?
>
> Actually it was. 30+ disks, some as mirrors of others (especially the
> booting partition) causes LILO to get confused occasionally. It works
> 99% of the time, but fails 1%. It fails at the least opportune time, as
> has been my luck. I still have about 70% of legacy machines using LILO,
> so don't think I am "fringe" case.
>
>         I have 2 new machines using LILO, as we have a requirement to
>         use XFS only on any filesystems... its a "third party" app that
>         the vendor has "strict requirements"... and they have installed
>         new kernels and lotsa other stuff rebooted that machine... and
>         have had to pay to have someone "work" on the machine to get it
>         to boot. And yes, its been operator error in this case.
>
>         FYI on that, they recently went from supporting ONLY Solaris 9
>         on SPARC hardware, to RHEL v4 update 3 setup this way. These
>         machines are now, 2 quad core processors, blahblahblah machine
>         with 3.5GB of memory (running ia32 kernels). I am tempted to
>         migrate them to VMs, as the machines *NEVER* see any load
>         average above 0.2. I'll bet I could do it without them even
>         knowing. Until its is too late for them.
>
> FWIW, GRUB never needs to be re-run. You just change the config file. If
> you make a mistake in that... you have the "edit" function available to
> fix the problem (at boot) OR you can go into command line and manually

I do like this feature of GRUB. My fix has always been, reboot with a
LiveCD, chroot, and fix the issue. For me this is more convenient than
learning GRUB's CLI.

> So, given that we are all prone to mistakes in any case, which one would
> you use, based on using Linux for your CORE business model and
> application serving?

I will continue to use LILO, until it has costs money. I use the word
"free" to emphasize *nix qualities a lot, but I am not so stubborn as
to stick with a dog that won't hunt.

if (FOSS > $0.00)
  grep lightbulb /dev/brain
fi

Thanks a lot for all of the feed back

> > > Same machines, once GRUB was installed and setup properly (being trivial
> > > to do), have not had a a single problem rebooting since.
>
> --
> Greg Folkert <greg at gregfolkert.net>

In vino veritas.
        [In wine there is truth.]