[GRLUG] Active Partitions

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 09:27:39 EST 2007

On Dec 5, 2007 8:06 AM, Justin Denick <justin.denick at gmail.com> wrote:
> However, it is important that we note one thing: The problem booting was not
> related to my description of the MBR, but rather that this particular board
> requires that there exist an active partition on the disk you are attemting to
> boot an OS from.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding based on what you've
written so far, is that the board requires either an active partiton
(if, as you've done, the bootloader is installed in said partition),
or for the bootloader to be installed in the MBR.  Either situation
results in a bootable system.  The only combination that doesn't is a
bootloader installed in a location other than the MBR, with no active
partitions.  This would match expected behavior on an x86 - some may
be more forgiving than this, but they're not required to be.

--tim