[GRLUG] ping again...

Justin Denick justin.denick at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 14:41:04 EDT 2007

Ah, gpena at ltsp... Brings back some memories man.

In any event, I set up Amavis on a gentoo server.
I liked the ease of controlling Anti-spam/virus in one location.

Plus, it can maintain redundant stuff like a backup virus scanner on some
other server.

Just give amavis the location of you binaries and tadow, you own 'dis her'
joint.

On 8/27/07, Godwin <geektoyz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, in Debian and its derivatives, you can now "apt-get" the sucker.
> I imagine it's easier to setup now than when I looked into it ages
> and ages ago.  ;-)  It works very similar to Anomy (create a pipe
> service in the master.cf file).  It's the link between your antispam,
> antivirus and mail components.  It *is* very very popular.  I think
> I've even seen some of those pre-fabbed mail gateway boxes online
> using it.
>
> G-

> gpena at ltsp:~$ apt-cache search amavis
> altermime - utility used to alter mime-encoded mailpacks
> amavis-ng - AMaViS "Next Generation"
> amavis-ng-milter-helper - AMaViS "Next Generation" helper program for
> Milter
> amavis-stats - Virus statistics RRDtool frontend for Amavis
> amavisd-new - Interface between MTA and virus scanner/content filters
> amavisd-new-milter - Interface between sendmail-milter and amavisd-new
> clamcour - courier filter for clamav to virus scan incoming mail
> horde-sam - spam module for Horde Framework
> spampd - spamassassin based SMTP/LMTP proxy daemon
> f-prot-installer - F-Prot(tm) Antivirus installer package
> gpena at ltsp:~$
>

> On 8/27/07, Justin Denick <justin.denick at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't think it's a package at all... Rather a unix service that can be
> > postfix connected to by modifying the master.cf file. The service then
> > returns mail back to postfix or even cyrus, now that the mail is trusted
> or
> > marked for quarantine.
> >

> > On 8/24/07, Godwin <geektoyz at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Yeah, I came across it a while ago, but Anomy seemed easier to
> > > setup...  Back then, there were no packages (or emerge) for it...  ;-)
> > >
> > > G-

> > and/or

> > > --
> > >
> > > Ubber::Geek