[GRLUG] "New" Linux user

Topher topher at wcsg.org
Sun Apr 15 14:01:37 EDT 2007

> Hello, I've been using Linux since November of last year. I've learned
> quite a bit about it since then but still get stumped every once in a
> while. Right now I'm trying to bring back my gui from a failed
> installation of an NVidia driver that *broke* my xorg server. I was
> looking through the ubuntuforums and couldn't find any useful
> information on my exact problem. I kept on finding "try this" "try that"
> for other people and tried those to see what would happen and nothing
> ever turned out right. I've finally got back to where I can log in to
> gnome but the gui never comes up. Help would be appreciated.

Typically installing the nvidia driver doesn't touch your xorg.conf file,
they make you edit it yourself to replace the nv driver.

If it's broken now because the nvidia driver doesn't want to work, put
back the line that says to use the nv driver and it should come back.

That said, always back up your xorg.conf file before messing with it.  :)

Topher
Manager of Internet Services
Cornerstone University Radio

------
"People, I think, read too much to themselves; they should read aloud from
time to time to hear the language, to feel the sounds."
                         -- Louis L'Amour, The Lonesome Gods