[GRLUG] Debian Etch 4.0 Released

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Mon Apr 9 16:45:42 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-09 at 16:07 -0400, Bob Kline wrote:
> Re "why not," most people would want
> an OS that supports what they want
> to do with it,  and is stable and reliable,
> not something where the objective is
> to tinker with the platform.

So, you are saying Debian is not stable and reliable?

I for one am offended at your lack of understanding that Debian has
something called the "DFSG" or the "Debian Free Software Guide". It also
has many other policy parts that DEMAND things be handled in a certain
way.

Ever wonder why many documentation files are considered non-free? The
GNU Free Document License is why. It adds additional restrictions about
the docs. There are things like exactly how to develop for Debian,
package quality, building across all supported architectures are among
many things ... all about the Free and free software.

Until you actually understand what you are talking about with regards to
what and how Debian does things, I'd ask you to not spout things around
like this. This is how many "idiotic ideas" about Debian and its
supposed draconian ideals come into play.

I would ask you to read the DFSG and the other main documents Debian is
founded upon. There are not many distributions that have these kinds of
Policy in place, even that follow them, that have them in place.

> I'd think
> this would be mandatory to make
> Linux a main stream platform.

What exactly are you supposing here?

Mainstream it already is. Growing by leap and bounds faster and at a
better pace than other "Mainstream" OSes.

Maybe you definition of mainstream is different than mine.
greg, greg at gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup