[GRLUG] GRCC and Linux [was "Linux @ school."]

Szymon Machajewski SMachaje at grcc.edu
Wed Sep 27 14:50:54 EDT 2006

Thank you for the question.

We run Fedora on about 40 workstation at the ATC building (via VMware
Player), and we also have a few kiosks in the main building which either
already have Linux on them or soon will have.  These are Firefox browser
kiosks (live CD).

In the Data Center we have many RedHat systems in production and soon
will be adding a few SUSE.  The engineers have Linux for workstations in
addition to Windows or run Windows in VMware.

It is difficult to deploy Linux on the workstations but this fight is
just getting started ...

Szymon Machajewski

Solutions Engineer / DBA
Red Hat Certified Engineer
Oracle Certified Associate
Microsoft Certified Solution Developer
www.grcc.edu/smachaje

>>> Benjamin Eavey <ben at eavey.com> 9/27/2006 2:24:13 pm >>>
> Schools are a great opportunity for Linux, and maybe we could show
some
> initiative and provide presentations for local schools on using
Linux.
> If we as a LUG show interest in schools they may be more willing to
try
> out Linux on the workstation.

Speaking of which, Szymon, how many Linux computers are available for
the students at GRCC to use?  Just curious.

-Ben