[GRLUG] Linux @ school.

Michael Greene michael.greene at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 14:24:05 EDT 2006

It might have helped that less was expected of them and there were
fewer students going to private/charter schools.

In general, the state of American schooling has not gone down, but
slightly up--*especially* for minorities.  Consider that 50 years ago
was only a couple years after segregation was banned.

http://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard//pubs/main1999/2000469.asp

Furthermore, homeschooling mothers/fathers *are* professionals.  They
become professionals through the homeschooling, and already have more
experience with their child's individual needs and responses than any
teacher could have by virtue of parenthood.  They aren't as good as
professional teachers in their first year, but they become better than
them over time.  I don't think it's a fair comparison.  Becoming a
teacher doesn't require years and years of specific education, it
requires a couple of years of college focused on teaching, and a
general college education.  Sadly, this is not enough to separate the
good teachers from the bad, but that should be obvious.  It sounds
like what we need is a better way of measuring teacher ability and
rewarding it, but I can't think of a good one.

Michael