[GRLUG] Linux @ school.

Szymon Machajewski SMachaje at grcc.edu
Tue Sep 26 23:47:03 EDT 2006

I would like to appeal to the GRLUG list not to consult or assist in
questionable projects.

Linux and open source stand for upright, community driven productivity.
 I believe that learning/teaching about Linux should be not only about
the technical bits and bytes, but about the moral and legal behavior
which will keep future Linux users out of jail.

In that spirit I believe Jorge La's request should be handled with
caution.

At the same time Jorge La, welcome to our group, and please be assured
that you are in a company of responsible professionals who will help you
be successful with Linux.  Pending the definition of successful ... :)

Szymon Machajewski

Solutions Engineer / DBA
Red Hat Certified Engineer
Oracle Certified Associate
Microsoft Certified Solution Developer
www.grcc.edu/smachaje

>>> "Jorge La" <weeneedhelp at gmail.com> 9/26/2006 10:53:14 pm >>>
I have a DSL box at home, but how do you add apps to it? I would like
have QEMU and a program that logs keystrokes (make the connections for
yourself  heh heh heh) and probally a nicer background :-/.

On 9/26/06, Ben Rousch <brousch at orthicomp.com> wrote:

> I pity those poor high school admins. They don't stand a chance
against
> you
> resourceful students.
>
> I have been playing with http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ for booting
from
> USB
> drives.
>
> As for Windows (Samba) network access, I recommend
> http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/smbfs/ . You can use it to
mount a
> samba network share similar to mounting USB drive.
>
> On Tuesday 26 September 2006 22:20, Jorge La wrote:
> > Currently, my high school has these upto date Dells running XP and
> server
> > that blocks gmail, myspace, and anything else that's fun.
Currently, I
> have
> > a SSH server in NJ which im using to make a SSH tunnel to visit
gmail,
> > myspace, fark and whatever else :). I have Putty on my network
drive at
> > school, but i find that booting from Linux Live is much more useful
and
> > powerful then XP. So, I need some nput and advice with Linux Live.
> >
> > Eventhough the machines are upto date, about 1/4 of the CD drives
are
> > broken (because someone pushed them in when the PC was off) and the
Live
> CD
> > boots up slow, becasue the readspeeds on the CD drives are s-l-o-w.
The
> > BIOS does support booting from USB flashdrives, which is much
faster,
> but
> > the I get mix results when i boot SLAX from USB. Some PCs would be
able
> > load X, and some wont.
> > I've been wondering about making a QEMU live CD/USB? but the thing
is, I
> > dont have access to the cmd line because im not a privilege user
:-/

> > Also, how do i get access to my network drive from linux?
Currently,