[GRLUG] Ubuntu Firefox/Flash problems

Ben Rousch brousch at orthicomp.com
Sat Sep 23 19:36:02 EDT 2006

IE4Linux is a good solution I use for dealing with sites that refuse to work
under Linux and/or Firefox. It is a mostly-automated install of IE6 with
Flash. It used wine, so you should have wine installed ("sudo apt-get install
wine" on debian-based distros).

Sure, it will make your stomach a little queasy having IE on your beautiful
Linux install, but I think it is worth it to visit those few sites that
refuse to play well with others.

http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/index-en.html

On Saturday 23 September 2006 15:54, Tim Schmidt wrote:
> On 9/23/06, Jeff DeFouw <jeffd at i2k.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 03:10:13PM -0400, Tim Schmidt wrote:
> > > Too bad Adobe isn't very co-operative!  Seriously...  Flash works
> > > better under Wine than natively because they put more work into their
> > > windows version.  The Linux version of flash depends on an ancient C++
> > > library, OSS, runs only on i386, and talks bare X11.  If they were
> > > serious about supporting Linux at all, we'd see an SDL version for at
> > > least 10 archs.
> >
> > There's good news.  Adobe has someone rewriting the Linux version of
> > Flash Player 9 using new libraries and interfaces.  I found out an
> > interview somewhere.  I recall that a beta version is expected early
> > next year.
>
> It's not good news.  They're not using sensible interfaces like SDL or
> gstreamer, they're writing straight to X11 and ALSA, they're using V4L
> v1 (v1!), and a few other horrible decisions.  In two or three years
> (the current version of flash for Linux has been around more than 3
> years), that one will feel just as dated and crappy as this one does
> now.
>
> --tim

 - Ben Rousch